On August 18, we held a gathering to explore what it means to live into our vision of being a Green Space at UU Gwinnett. We looked at what we are already doing to be green, and what we could accomplish within 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, and beyond. Great conversations took place, and great ideas emerged. A new “Green Team” also emerged! Many thanks to Terry Welsher, Bill Kennedy, Barry Heath, Daniel Bailey, Joy Rooney, and Betsy Connell for stepping up to lead UU Gwinnett towards our green vision. Look for upcoming activities and ways to engage in our green initiative. In the meantime, did you know…
- There is a recycling bin in the Sanctuary, and in every classroom and office? Please use this for all your clean paper, plastic, and aluminum items so we can be green!
- There is a recycling station in the kitchen that also includes a place for compostable plant-based waste.
- We have a rain barrel near the Labyrinth so we can keep our garden watered.
- We use 100% post-consumer recycled copy paper in the office.
- We have replaced a significant number of lights with LED bulbs, and plan to do more.
- We host the monthly meetings of the non-partisan Citizen’s Climate Lobby.
- Our annual Yard Sale keeps thousands of items from the land fill … reduce, reuse, repurpose!
- We have two keyhole gardens that grow herbs and vegetables for members and friends of the congregation.
- Our Property Beautification Team is in the planning stages to create a pollinator garden in the front of the building in the grove near the labyrinth to attract bees, butterflies and hummingbirds.
~ Your UUCG Green Team