Current minutes are posted on the bulletin board at the church.  Two most recently approved minutes are posted below.  An archive of all past Board Meeting Minutes is maintained at UUCG.

March 20, 2019 scheduled 7 to 9 PM

Attendance:

Present: Marcus Kabel, President; Bill Benshoof, Vice President; Terry Welsher, Secretary; Ally Perras (Zoom), At-Large; Nathalie Bigord, At-Large; Daniel Bailey, At-Large, Rev. Jan Taddeo.

Absent: None

Quorum present: Yes

Guests:  None

Proceedings: Meeting called to order at 7:15 PM with opening words by Rev. Jan

Minutes for the February meeting were approved by e-mail on March 20 and uploaded to the BOT Google Drive.

Current Discussions

Minister’s Report – Rev.  Jan’s report is appended to this document.   A few points were discussed in the meeting

  • A certified letter regarding a tree on neighboring property that needs to come down has been sent. There had been no reply as of March 20.   The tree was taken down April 3.
  • General Assembly (Spokane, WA) registration opened March 1. We are allowed 3 delegates based on the congregation membership plus minister and religious educator.  Delegates can be on-site or off-site.  Terry Welsher will be an on-site delegate.  We need to recruit two more.
  • It has been some time since a “Volly of the Quarter” has been named. A list of candidates was discussed [The list will be appended to the Google Docs version of these minutes].  Since it has been so long there could be as many as a dozen recipients.  The name of the award will be changed to “Partners in Ministry”.  Gift options discussed were Amazon cards and chalice pins.  The awards will be announced at the Bridging Service on May 19
  • There will be [was] a fire drill near the end of the May 24 service.
  • Turning Sun is having (had) an Open House March 22 & 23.
  • Side conversation not in the report – Rev. Jan mentioned that the school will be opening in August and we will not be able to have the Yard Sale in the same way we’ve had in the past because we won’t have access to all the classrooms during the week, and we can’t have a lot of people, especially general public coming in during school hours. She spoke with Carol Kreson about 1) would she be willing to take a leadership role this year (answer was no), and 2) how might we change it so that it could still happen, e.g. moving it to July, or having it for just one day (Saturday) and just in the Sanctuary and Library. This is to give the Board a head’s up that the revenue budget for the yard sale may not make its goal this year.  Ja will continue to seek someone to take leadership and to explore options.

Weekly Count Process   –   There was a discussion about improving this process.  Some felt that Sign-Up Genius wasn’t working (doesn’t alert when no one signs up for a slot for the upcoming week).  Ally volunteered to check each week.

Finance Committee – No report.

Treasurer Search – No change.

Focused Discussion – Sewer Connection Project

  • Endowment Fund Request – The board agreed to request $25K at a rate not to exceed 4%APR and a term of five years (this will result in payments of about $460/month)
  • Communication – Regular updates will be provided to the congregation in services and on the bulletin board under the banner Flush Flash! There will be reports at important checkpoints – Professional Engineering Report, Easement/Real Estate Agreement, Contractor Agreement and Schedule, etc

Capital Campaign Process

  • Need a team and leader – Some possibilities were discussed. Jan will make suggestion
  • Possible Projects
    • Sewer
    • Parking Lot
    • Gutters
    • HVAC
    • Security
    • Internal Repairs and Updates

Annual State Registration – Terry will do it [Done 3/21]

Meeting adjourned at 8:50 PM

Minutes submitted by Secretary, Terry Welsher

Submitted as approved at April BOT meeting (4/6) vote  – April 17, 2019

February 20, 2019 scheduled 7 to 9 PM

Attendance:

Present: Marcus Kabel, President; Terry Welsher (Zoom), Secretary; Ally Perras, At-Large; Nathalie Bigord, At-Large; Daniel Bailey, At-Large, Rev Jan Taddeo.

Absent: Bill Benshoof, Vice President

Quorum present: Yes

Guests:  Steve Korthof, Kelsey Rice, Katrina Yurko, Heather Meador

Proceedings: Meeting called to order at 7:03 PM with opening words by Rev. Jan

Minutes for the January meeting were approved by e-mail on February 19 and uploaded to the BOT Google Drive.

Committee Reports:  None

Current Discussions

Minister’s Report – Rev.  Jan’s report is appended to this document.   A few points were discussed in the meeting

  • Larry Long has drafted a letter regarding a tree on neighboring property that need to come done. Letter would be signed by Marcus as President of the Board if the letter is deemed necessary.
  • General Assembly (Spokane, WA) registration opens March 1. We are allowed 3 delegates based on the congregation membership plus minister and religious educator.  Delegates can be on-site or off-site.  We need to start talking this up in the congregation to encourage people to sign up.

Weekly Count Process   – Marcus reminded everyone to sign up for counting using sign-up genius.   One problem with this program is that no one gets an alert if no one has signed up for a given upcoming Sunday.   Keeping eyes on the collection bowls after service is also important.  After a recent service they were left unattended for a few minutes.  In the past a “lock box” for temporary storage has been discussed.   Rev Jan will follow-up.

Finance Committee – No report.

Treasurer Search – No change.

Focused Discussion I – Sewer/Septic

Kelsey Rice, Katrina Yurko and Steve Korthof summarized their research options to address the fact that our current septic tank does not meet code requirements.   Most of the discussion centered around reviewing a slide set to be presented at the upcoming town hall (2/24 after service).   The presentation covers: 1) why septic is not a good option; 2) overall plan to connect to Gwinnett sewer system; 3) engaging a professional engineering firm – two have been identified; 4) possibilities of getting a waiver for our current system; 5)  explanation of the requirement to get an easement to connect to the sewer on neighboring property; 6) fees for connecting to the system; 7)  estimated cost of the physical work to be done; 8) timeline and target for completion (by May); and 9) estimated total cost (~$50,660)

Focused Discussion II – Leadership Development and Board Officer Elections Process

Katrina and Heather were present for the discussion.   Katrina emphasized that it was their desire that LDC’s role be limited to be a nominating committee.  They have begun the process of looking for candidates for the 2019-2020 year.  There was a brief discussion about how BOT officers are elected.   Rev Jan suggested we consider limiting the congregational election to board members without regard to offices.   The BOT would then vote internally on officers.  New positions for Past President and future Treasurer were mentioned.  All of this would require Bylaw changes.

 

Meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM

Minutes submitted by Secretary, Terry Welsher

Submitted as approved by e-mail (5/6) vote  – March 20, 2019